Saturday, May 10, 2008

Alien Artifact

Had a friend over to play in the studio. She got some great colors and textures on an altered book cover she was working on. I had to try her paint combinations.

I've been playing with some papier-mache techniques. I'm working on an alien artifact. :)
My flip video came in a very cool box.



I put a layer of papier-mache over the outside to cover the seams. Then I started adding layer of paints and stuff for textures.



I haven't started working on the insert part yet. I think this will have some lights and stuff. I used spray enamels (a pearlised black and some hammered brass) with a coating of Radiant Rain sprays for the interior.



I used some Golden products- stainless steel paint, molding paste, micaceous iron oxide. Used a bit of Stewart Gill paint as an undercoat on parts and some Fresco flakes on top.

I also added some black hotglue bits and some Fashion Flakes for gilding and some metallic buffing waxes.

The cool part was overcoloring the whole thing with the Radiant Rain sprays. Wow- that stuff really gives an interesting finish. I used mostly one of the copper ones and the golden bamboo.



I scraped through all the paint layer for more texture in parts- and resprayed those areas with the Radiant Rain sprays.



I've gotten some very gnarly textures going so far.

I think I'm going to like this piece.

7 comments:

Moonwillow said...

Way cool texture going on that box! Your right it is an interesting box, and I can't wait to see it finished!
You have a great blog

Christy said...

Zeb this is amazing. Love the texture you have achieved, love the paints, the combinations, it's just wicked cool.

Victoria Pittman said...

Wish I could come play in your studio! Love the gnarly textures you have going on.

Fun stuff.
Vicky
(now from Maine coast!)

mary schweitzer said...

This is so cool! I can't wait to see the finished piece!
Mary

Aileen said...

Great texture Zeb very cool!

Adrienne Wood said...

Gorgeous - the lumpy bits even look like welding... I think I'm gonna love this piece, too!!!

Brandi said...

Looks awesome!!!!! Have you seen my latest???? I must admit, I am actually pretty gosh darn proud..LOL! HUGS AND LOVE!!
Brandi